Radio City Music Hall Is Decked Out for the Christmas Spectacular
Back to the Blog... | Post Feedback | Author Bio | Printer-Friendly
The Showplace of the Nation, Radio City Music Hall, is ringing in the season with the 85th Edition of its Christmas Spectacular, running through December 30. The always eagerly-anticipated holiday show, estimated to be seen by 72 million people over the years, is one of New York’s most popular attractions, right up there with quintessential sites such as the Statue of Liberty, Empire State and Chrysler Buildings, Rockefeller Center and the U.N.
As always, the two standout stars are the world-famous Rockettes, the glamorous 36-strong precision dance team, and Santa Claus. To further captivate audiences, the production extends beyond the stage to transform the Hall into a winter wonderland. You’ll get swept away as soon as you enter the Art Deco lobby, where there hangs a jaw-dropping, 35’ mobile tree made up of 6,000 Swarovski crystals.
This year’s fast-paced, 90-minute edition has the world’s largest flying indoor LED screen, new routines and surprises, songs and carols, razzle-dazzle costumes, 3-D and cutting edge digital projection alongside beloved numbers that have been a tradition since 1933: “The Parade of the Wooden Soldiers," the high-energy tap-infused “The 12 Days of Christmas,” the famed rag doll number and, of course, the Living Nativity.
It’s a very airborne show, with Santa on an awesome journey soaring over Manhattan in his reindeer-drawn sleigh through a blizzard to the whimsical world of his North Pole workshops. There are blasts of confetti and tons of special effects. In “New York at Christmas,” the Rockettes take audiences on a whirlwind Manhattan holiday tour aboard a Gray Line double-decker bus that culminates in a Times Square fireworks display. You’ll visit Central Park as ice skaters take over the frozen lake. The “reason for the season” Living Nativity has been enhanced so that Bethlehem’s starry-night sky envelops the audience.
The Rockettes’ finale, “Let Christmas Shine,” literally shines as the dancers, each costumed with over 3,000 Swarovski crystals, assemble as live ornaments to create the world’s largest live Christmas tree, some 20’ high.
Entertainment begins a quarter hour before showtime, when the mighty Wurlitzer organs roll out for a mini-concert of holiday favorites.
Tickets for Radio City Music Hall’s Christmas Spectacular, presented by Chase, are $35 - $119 and available at the Music Hall box office or, with the addition of service fees, online at www.radiocitychristmas.com and ticketmaster.com, or by calling (866) 858-0007. -- Ellis Nassour
Posted on December 17, 2012 - by
Browse: Theater | Special Events
Reader Feedback -
Be the first to kick-start this discussion...
Join the discussion... To register, please click here
About the Author: A look at the city's biggest and most interesting museum and gallery openings, music events, performing arts, and much more.
- Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 - A Big Theatrical Event Off-Broadway
- Fun, Good Times, and a Great Performance in Off-Broadway's Buyer & Cellar
- Unique Programming Off Broadway at New York's Venerable Public Theater
- Smash Classical Crossover Group Il Divo Performs at Revel Ovation Hall
- Broadway by the Year Presents the Musicals of 1972
- Nathan Gunn, Kelli O'Hara Headline Telecast of New York Philharmonic's Carousel
- Easter Bonnet Competition Brings BC/EFA Fundraising Season to Eclipsing Close
- BC/EFA's Entertainment Extravaganza Easter Bonnet Competition - April 22 & 23
- Robert Redford Returns in the The Company You Keep
- Star-Studded 54 Below Week: Lee Roy Reams, Christiane Noll, Marilyn Maye, Larry Gatlin, and Liliane Montevecchi
- Travel Zoo Offers Up to 50% Discounts to Eight New Broadway Shows
- On Screen: Big, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone; Small, The Client List, Season One DVD
- Star Circus Clown Bello Nock Ready to Sock New Victory Audiences
- Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful Is a Colorful 3-D Wonderof Epic Illusion
- Marilyn Maye Makes Her 54 Below Debut
- Oscar-Nominated Films -- Including Zero Dark Thirty -- Arriving on DVD
- Direct from China: Gansu Dance Theatre Spectacular Silk Road
- Red Carpet Event: The 2012 Oscars in Three-Hour ABC Telecast
- It's a Banner Year for Abraham Lincoln!
- Classical Crossover's Jackie Evancho Performs at Revel Ovation Hall
- Lorna Luft on Broadway in Birdland Concert Debut Feb. 11 & 18
- Cabaret Restored for Release on Blu-ray for 40th Anniversary
- Shakespeare Uncovered on PBS: Hamlet and The Tempest
- Broadway by the Year Returns February 11th for Its 13th Season
- Dance on Camera Festival Screens at Film Society's Walter Reade
- On Stage and At the Movies with Broadway's Annie, Stallone's A Bullet to the Head & More
- Metropolitan Museum's Heroes & Heroines Event
- Phantom's 25th Anniversary Was a Night to Remember
- Over 35 Off Broadway Shows Participating in Two-Week 2-4-1 Sale
- Phantom of the Opera Prepares to Make History Again: First Broadway Show to Play 25 Years
- Star-Studded Connecticut Concert for Newtown Community Takes Place January 28
- On Phantom of the Opera's Record-Breaking Silver Anniversary: Remembering January 26, 1988
- Dance from the Heart Benefits Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- Bob Costas to Host Comedy Legends and Sports Icons for Madison Square Garden's Garden of Dreams Benefit
- SMASH: Season 1 Arrives on DVD to Welcome NBC's Premiere of SMASH: Season 2
- Can't Silence Silence! The Musical, Now Starring Stage and TV's Sean McDermott
- Live at 54 Below CD Line Debuts with Patti LuPone and Norbert Leo Butz
- New York Times Travel Show Offers Trip Planning and Destination Advice Near and Far
- Theater Bargain Time: 2-4-1 Tickets & Kids Night on Broadway
- 2012 American Theater Hall of Fame Inductions Take Place January 28
- Leslie Uggams Chosen for Nightlife Awards Legend Honor at Monday's Star-Studded Show
- Spend the Weekend With New DVDs and CDs, Including To Rome With Love, Chaplin & More
- Glee's Chris Colfer's Makes Double-Threat Film Debut With Struck by Lightning
- Former Broadway Hoofer and Emmy-winning Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall Plays Metropolitan Room
- Free Star-Studded Screening of Cabaret, Starring Liza Minnelli, on January 31
- Original Cast Members of Grease, Nine, and Grand Hotel Reunite for January 14 Kathi Moss Actors Fund Benefit
- Town Hall Presents the 13th Annual Nightlife Awards on January 14
- PBS Rings in 2013 with Downton Abbey, Season 3
- Bucking in the New Year! Professional Bull Riders at Madison Square Garden January 4-6
- Great Performances Salutes Broadway Musicals' Jewish Legacy