Fundraising and Holiday Shopping for Good Causes
Back to the Blog... | Post Feedback | Author Bio | Printer-Friendly
There are only nine shopping days ‘til Hanukkah and 25 shopping day ‘til Christmas. Shop ‘til you drop, but also give the gifts that keep on giving, especially to those less fortunate. Especially in the wake of Sandy, the Red Cross, United Way, and religious groups need your support. If you came out of the worst natural disaster in New York history unscathed, count your blessings and help those who lost so much.
For almost a quarter century, Broadway Cares / Equity Fights AIDS has been one of the nation’s leading industry-based, nonprofit AIDS fundraising and grant-making organizations. Drawing upon the talents, resources, and generosity of the theater-going community at myriad fundraising events, including the twice-annual in-theatres drive, BC/EFA events have raised over $225-million for essential services for people with AIDS and other critical illnesses.
These include programs at the Actors Fund, including the Phyllis Newman Women’s Health Initiative, the Al Hirschfeld Free Health Clinic [named in honor of the famed New York Times caricaturist], and 450 AIDS and family service organizations across the U.S.
You can support BC/EFA shopping online at www.broadwaycares.org for clothing, jewelry, books, special collections, gift certificates, and stockingfuls of joy with one-of-a-kind items is through their Catalog of Giving.
Help BC/EFA and Have a Blast
Join The New York Times and United Airlines as they support BC/EF at what has come to be known in the theatrical community as “the year’s second most exciting fundraiser” [after summer’s Broadway Bares] and "the holiday season's most dazzling talent show", the Gypsy of the Year competition. It’s certainly become one of the season’s biggest star-studded parties with appearances by dozens of Broadway and Off-Broadway's performers.
There are two shows: Monday and Tuesday at 2 P.M. Tickets are $20- $350. Purchase online at www.broadwaycares.org or by calling (212) 840-0770 X. 268. Through the annual generosity of Disney Theatricals, the show takes place at their magnificently-restored New Amsterdam Theatre, home to Mary Poppins [the youngsters from the musical brought the house down last year with their versions of Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf and A Streetcar Named Desire].
Highlights will include a tribute to late lyricist Fred Ebb of Kander and Ebb fame, who bequeathed nearly $7-million to BC/EFA in his will. David Hyde Pierce and Deborah Monk are among cast members reuniting from Curtains, one Kander and Ebb last shows. A host of alumni from their Chicago will be among the 200 performers.
Gypsy of the Year's opening number will celebrate Broadway dance, spotlighting West Side Story, Fosse, 42nd Street, The Will Rogers Follies, Crazy for You, Legally Blonde and A Chorus Line choreography and choreographers.
As almost everyone who loves theater knows, “gypsy” refers to those hardworking dance ensembles in musicals. The Gypsy of the Year competition is the culmination of six weeks of intensive fundraising by New York shows and national touring companies. But the party aspect is that talented singers and dancers from shows and tour companies present the most outrageous original skits, vying for awards decided on by a celebrity judge panel. Almost every skit and has a major celebrity as surprise guest star. Last year, Gypsy of the Year raised an all-time high just short of $5,000,000, pushing the competition's 23-year total to over $49,000,000.
Ford Cares, Too
Ford Motors has been active in the fight against breast cancer since 1993. The company has dedicated more than $115 million. In 2006, Ford intensified its efforts by introducing Warriors in Pink and the Ford Warriors in Pink line of wear and gear with 100% of net proceeds from sales is dedicated to charities that offer a wide-range of support.
To add your support, “Wear the gear! Spread the word!”, shop online at warriorsinpink.ford.com -- where you can enter to win a 2013 Warrior edition Ford. To date, Warriors in Pink has generated over $3,600,000.
Ford Warriors in Pink also sponsors the Komen Race for the Cure and features commercial endorsements by major stars on TV and in print. Greater awareness which can lead to earlier diagnosis, which in turn saves lives, is the goal. It’s vital to keep the topic of breast cancer part of everyday conversation and encourage women and men to engage in self-exams. -- Ellis Nassour
Posted on November 30, 2012 - by
Browse: Special Events | Theater
Reader Feedback -
Be the first to kick-start this discussion...
Join the discussion... To register, please click here
About the Author: A look at the city's biggest and most interesting museum and gallery openings, music events, performing arts, and much more.
- Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812 - A Big Theatrical Event Off-Broadway
- Fun, Good Times, and a Great Performance in Off-Broadway's Buyer & Cellar
- Unique Programming Off Broadway at New York's Venerable Public Theater
- Smash Classical Crossover Group Il Divo Performs at Revel Ovation Hall
- Broadway by the Year Presents the Musicals of 1972
- Nathan Gunn, Kelli O'Hara Headline Telecast of New York Philharmonic's Carousel
- Easter Bonnet Competition Brings BC/EFA Fundraising Season to Eclipsing Close
- BC/EFA's Entertainment Extravaganza Easter Bonnet Competition - April 22 & 23
- Robert Redford Returns in the The Company You Keep
- Star-Studded 54 Below Week: Lee Roy Reams, Christiane Noll, Marilyn Maye, Larry Gatlin, and Liliane Montevecchi
- Travel Zoo Offers Up to 50% Discounts to Eight New Broadway Shows
- On Screen: Big, The Incredible Burt Wonderstone; Small, The Client List, Season One DVD
- Star Circus Clown Bello Nock Ready to Sock New Victory Audiences
- Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful Is a Colorful 3-D Wonderof Epic Illusion
- Marilyn Maye Makes Her 54 Below Debut
- Oscar-Nominated Films -- Including Zero Dark Thirty -- Arriving on DVD
- Direct from China: Gansu Dance Theatre Spectacular Silk Road
- Red Carpet Event: The 2012 Oscars in Three-Hour ABC Telecast
- It's a Banner Year for Abraham Lincoln!
- Classical Crossover's Jackie Evancho Performs at Revel Ovation Hall
- Lorna Luft on Broadway in Birdland Concert Debut Feb. 11 & 18
- Cabaret Restored for Release on Blu-ray for 40th Anniversary
- Shakespeare Uncovered on PBS: Hamlet and The Tempest
- Broadway by the Year Returns February 11th for Its 13th Season
- Dance on Camera Festival Screens at Film Society's Walter Reade
- On Stage and At the Movies with Broadway's Annie, Stallone's A Bullet to the Head & More
- Metropolitan Museum's Heroes & Heroines Event
- Phantom's 25th Anniversary Was a Night to Remember
- Over 35 Off Broadway Shows Participating in Two-Week 2-4-1 Sale
- Phantom of the Opera Prepares to Make History Again: First Broadway Show to Play 25 Years
- Star-Studded Connecticut Concert for Newtown Community Takes Place January 28
- On Phantom of the Opera's Record-Breaking Silver Anniversary: Remembering January 26, 1988
- Dance from the Heart Benefits Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS
- Bob Costas to Host Comedy Legends and Sports Icons for Madison Square Garden's Garden of Dreams Benefit
- SMASH: Season 1 Arrives on DVD to Welcome NBC's Premiere of SMASH: Season 2
- Can't Silence Silence! The Musical, Now Starring Stage and TV's Sean McDermott
- Live at 54 Below CD Line Debuts with Patti LuPone and Norbert Leo Butz
- New York Times Travel Show Offers Trip Planning and Destination Advice Near and Far
- Theater Bargain Time: 2-4-1 Tickets & Kids Night on Broadway
- 2012 American Theater Hall of Fame Inductions Take Place January 28
- Leslie Uggams Chosen for Nightlife Awards Legend Honor at Monday's Star-Studded Show
- Spend the Weekend With New DVDs and CDs, Including To Rome With Love, Chaplin & More
- Glee's Chris Colfer's Makes Double-Threat Film Debut With Struck by Lightning
- Former Broadway Hoofer and Emmy-winning Hollywood Squares host Peter Marshall Plays Metropolitan Room
- Free Star-Studded Screening of Cabaret, Starring Liza Minnelli, on January 31
- Original Cast Members of Grease, Nine, and Grand Hotel Reunite for January 14 Kathi Moss Actors Fund Benefit
- Town Hall Presents the 13th Annual Nightlife Awards on January 14
- PBS Rings in 2013 with Downton Abbey, Season 3
- Bucking in the New Year! Professional Bull Riders at Madison Square Garden January 4-6
- Great Performances Salutes Broadway Musicals' Jewish Legacy